Let no vote go unrocked

My coworkers are gobsmacked (gobsmacked!) that in the US, one's party affiliation is printed on everything vote related, including your registration card, absentee ballot, absentee ballot mailing label, envelope that holds the completed ballot...

EDIT: Apparently lots of states don't do that. NY, get with the program!

Yesterday was my first Canadian vote, and it's so simple and private! You go behind a cardboard thing, mark an x with a pencil, put your ballot in a cardboard box, and that's it. Easy, fair, unhackable. Scalable for a population the size of America's? I'm not sure.

Anyway, back to the absentee ballot. Although I called my election office in Podunktown, Podunk County, NY twice to make sure they were sending a ballot to the right address, they still messed it up. The preprinted sticker over "Residence from which vote is being cast" is my NY address from five years ago. Man. Who can I complain to (other than LJ, of course)?

I hate to be all tinfoil hat, but when my party affiliation is all over everything, and the elections office in a very politically different county screws my ballot up twice in a row, I do have to wonder... Is anyone else having ballot troubles?


I have a bit of a situation and I don't exactly know where to begin, so I apologize now for the length

My moms family is from Vancouver. I live in Washington state.
I'm eighteen and saving up to move to Vancouver in the spring and go to AIV next fall.

My little 'issues':
I'm eligible for dual citizenship and I want to at least have it filed before moving but I have no idea how to get ahold of the appropriate papers.

I can't get a hold of financial aid papers for next year and I'm confused about how to file!
I know that it takes 6 months to be considered a resident, which is why I'm moving in the spring, but that also means I wont be able to file as a local until my second semester. How big of a difference in tuition am I looking at here?
This is all probably something someone at the school can help me out with but its been bugging me for a long time.

I don't exactly live near the border right now, where can I go to get immigration papers?


Just a heads up for those of you who need to make a stop at a US Consulate in Canada (I went to the Toronto location yesterday - I assume this is true for all of them): Make sure you don't have any electronic devices on you. They won't let you in. This includes cell phones, iPods, cameras, etc. They also don't allow food or drink, so leave water bottles at home.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I had no idea and ended up wasting a good hour of my time because I had to take transit to my husband's office to drop off my cell phone. Getting my passport renewed took much longer than it should've as a result.

Name Changes, Citizenship, Etc

I worry I'm overcomplicating things, so bear with me.

I finally got my official name change certificate a few weeks ago and need to get a number of things changed (Heath Card, SIN card, driver's license, passport, etc etc etc). I'm going to send in my (US) passport application/renewal with the new name as soon as I get photos done. As I understand it, the wait time for a US passport is about 4 weeks.

I would also like to get my PR card changed to match the new name. The current wait time for a new PR card is nearly three months - I'll be traveling into the US before that - so I called the CIC help phone, and they told me if the passport/PR card don't match names, I can simply show my name change form at the border and that is ok.

So that got me thinking... I am a few months away from being eligible for Canadian Citizenship, which I plan on applying for as soon as I can. I called the citizenship help line and asked if it was ok if my PR card name didn't match the name I'm applying for citizenship with due to a recent name change... they said that was fine and that there is a place on the citizenship form to indicate name change. I then have to include the name change documentation in the application. Citizenship processing currently takes about 15 months to process.

Bottom line question: Can I just not change my name on my PR card? It seems like all that means is that while I wait for the citizenship stuff, I will always have to travel with my old name PR card + new name passport + name change form. I typically drive and/or fly into the US 2-3 times a year. Has anyone else dealt with this? Does the border hassle you if your passport/PR card doesn't match?

xposted to canadabound...

NEWBIE - my story

OK - so I cheat a bit - I am Canadian... BUT... my husband is american.... and he is trying to come to Canada - - - I plan to sponsor him - but we are nervous and lost.... any hints, help will be great.

We have application forms filled out - still need to do photo, medical, crim check, and a few other odds and ends...

ALSO - I have dated (long-term) 3 other americans.... my parents are sick of it and wish i'd have stuck with Canadians LMAO - - but I finally got married... to a yank ;)

tax time

Ah, the joys of being a newish permanent resident and trying to figure out my American tax returns. I'm wondering if anyone who's been in a similar situation can help me out: I became a PR in Canada in August of last year and worked in Canada from October-December 2007. Does anyone know if I have to fill out a form 2555 or report my Canadian income in any other way? I'm not sure since, having been here less than a year, I don't meet either the bona fide residence or physical presence tests. Any advice would be great... I'd love to avoid paying H&R Block $200 to do my US taxes for me :(

Canadian Citizenship

Has anyone gone through the Candian citizenship process haven started out as a PR? I'm looking at the application and they state that they're looking for a certain amount of time 'residing' in Canada. To me, 'residing,' means 'living in' (and this is the case on our taxes as well for those of you filing US tax returns from Canada). However, when you go to their calculator, it seems as if they mean 'physically present' and they want you to list out every second you were out of the country. So which is it? Living in or physically present in?