Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous 10

Apr. 30th, 2010


Contracting in Ontario

My GoogleFu is failing me, so I'm hoping someone here has either already invented this wheel or knows where I can find someone who has.

My hubby and I are in Canada under NAFTA - he's got the primary work permit while I'm here on a spousal work permit. I'm trying to find an IT job, but half to two-thirds of the positions I'm finding are for contractors. AIUI, anyone acting as a contractor in Ontario is required to incorporate as a standalone business, and it's that business that contracts to provide services to company "X" instead of simply the individual. In my case, I'm looking at some Unix sys admin positions with Rogers via contracting with IBM.

I've gotten the impression that, to incorporate myself as a standalone business in Ontario, I need to be either a citizen or a permanent resident (aka "landed immigrant"). My husband and I are going to start the application process for permanent residency later this year, but right now I'm technically just a temporary guest in Canada.

I can't find a definitive answer via Google, and since this is a provincial matter, I didn't find much of anything useful at the CIC website.

Does anyone here know for sure, or can any of y'all point me at any websites which might lead me to an absolute answer of "Yes, you may incorporate today", "No, you have to wait until you're a Landed Immigrant", or "No, you don't have to incorporate to be an IT contractor"?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!!!

Jan. 23rd, 2010


internship visa question

Hi folks
I'm an American applying for an internship in Halifax and neither me or the folks at the museum I want to intern at can figure out what kind of visa I need. The internship would be during the summer for a minimum of 300 hours (2 months). I've called the embassy in D.C. consulates in Boston and New York and couldn't get a person to help and checked the website only to find that it doesn't talk about unpaid positions. Any experience with this? PLEASE HELP!

Aug. 27th, 2009



Border Crossing

I figure most people in this community have lots of experience crossing the border between the US and Canada, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else had any experience with this.

I'm looking to take some homemade canned goods into the US for gifts... primarily fruit jams. This would primarily be by car, but maybe once by air as well. In researching, I've found this: https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=82

"Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible. "

The "generally" concerns me... what's a case where it wouldn't be? Any reason to believe I'd get my homemade goodies confiscated?

Thanks in advance.

Mar. 1st, 2009




Hoping someone out here might have some insight - I'll be calling int he morning to confirm. But, does anyone know if you can collect EI for being laid off immediately following a collecting from maternity leave?

Feb. 5th, 2009



Passport processing?

I'm a Canadian living in the US (I have a Green Card) these days.

My Canadian passport expires on March 16, 2009.

Does anyone know how long passport processing is taking these days?

Thanks. :)

Jan. 30th, 2009


I have a question..Background Checks from the US?

Hello everyone ... I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out .

I moved here to Canada from the US in July 2007 .. got married and applied for my permanent residency March 2008. I have since then ( a few months ago) received my work permit and am now working FT and everything is going well.. however.. I need to send the Canadian Immigraion my background checks from the US. I was born in Pottstown,Pennsylvania and then was living in Tampa,Florida before I moved here to Toronto. I can not seem to find any information anywhere as to where I have to write or send my request for my fingerprints and background checks.. I would of course need one from Pa as well as Fl. If anyone has any addresses or phone numbers .. they would be greatly appreciated. My alternate email address is NicholePa5454@aol.com .. Please feel free to email me there with the information or leave a message here for me.

Thanks again so much for your help and for listening !


Jan. 8th, 2009



Inaugural Ball

Ottawa-area Democrats are invited to attend the Democrats Abroad Inaugural Ball!  If you're not in Ottawa, check the Democrats Abroad group in your area.

Event detailsCollapse )

Jan. 3rd, 2009



paying fees at port of entry

I need to submit some study permit paperwork at a port of entry, and pay the associated fees. The online fee payment system doesn't have an option to specify "port of entry" as the location that is receiving the fees, and the information for people applying from outside the country directs me to ask "my local Visa office" about fee payment - again, not relevant for port-of-entry applications. So my question to all of you is, have you submitted study permit processing fees at a port of entry, and if so, what forms of payment are accepted? TIA!

Dec. 10th, 2008

Awesome Vendetta Mask


Hi. I just joined, Interested in making new friends

 It's been quite a struggle living here without OHIP. I've been waiting for almost 4 years to get my residency. Has anybody else had such a long wait. Does anybody have a cheap alternative for OHIP that won't cost us $1500.00 a month? I'm running into frustration at every turn.

Any ideas?

Nov. 3rd, 2008


(no subject)

Does anyone know where I could purchase Newports in Toronto? Or some way I could legally have them shipped to me from the States? I can't get used to these Canadian cigarettes..


Previous 10